Home / About Us / History
History

The town of Calumpit is rich in history. Calumpit was already an established barangay long before the coming of the Spaniards under the leadership of Gat Maitim. It was established on March 25, 1539 and was also the first town in Bulacan where the 1st Catholic mass was held by the Augustinian friars beade by Fr. Diego Vivar de Ordonez in the year 1572.

The Municipality of Calumpit derives its name from a native tree, Kalumpit, a specie which is related to such present day trees as talisay, dalinsi, sakat, buggas, and toog. According to old accounts, the Kalumpit tree was so common in the area that the place eventually came to be known as “Kalumpit”.

It is surrounded by bodies of water known as the Calumpit River which is an integral part of the Angat River which has shaped the lives of Bulakeños. Being the longest river system in Bulacan, Angat River traverses the towns of Plaridel, Pulilan, Calumpit, Hagonoy and Paombong. It has always been the principal route for trade and commerce even before the coming of the Spanish Conquistadores. which is also one of our major tourist attraction.